Saturday, March 14, 2009

I Am Not A Rock!


I Am Not A Rock.mp3
2 Minutes 54 Seconds. As read by my lovely UK robot friend "Elizabeth"


by Aaron Matlen

It really is amazing how one simple change in thought can accomplish so much. Yesterday I realized how busy I was, and how this has been affecting the way I live. My place became a little unorganized, and several simple tasks lay incomplete. It's not like I didn't have the time, but my larger tasks cast a shadow of inaction over my smaller tasks -- I would catch myself wasting time; procrastinating, focusing on unimportant details, social lifestyle, or rethinking/trying for one task even though I'd done all I could at the time, and just had to wait. I felt plagued by a feeling of inaction, as if I was a rock thrown in the wrong direction, trying to counteract its momentum.

Then, I realized... I am not a rock! I can change my direction. My mental direction. And poof, with one simple change in thought, I realized what control I have over my momentum of actions, thought a little smarter, got past mental blocks, and just did what I needed to do. It reminded me of my favorite quote from Amelia Earhart, "The best way to do it, is to do it." I got all my tasks done easily, and clearly laid out certain values, goals, and ways of living that I should be following. So it was done, and I feel better.

Over time we can accomplish so damn much. I mean think about it, given time and a certain amount of effort or thinking within that time, say even just one year, we can do so many things! With our bodies, say -- you want to change by working out -- what could you do with one consistent year of it? My god, a lot. More than we realize. It's the same way for our intelligence, our skills, our work situation, our life itself. We can change things around because each moment in life matters -- each second really does work to create us, to create something that influences us. A moment. Right now. Time passing. Each experience connects you to the overall picture we should imagine ourselves as. Our 'self across the dimensions of time' as felt and experienced by consciousness.. this is influenced and created by every single moment we exist.

It's funny. When you think about it, we waste SO much time inbetween everything we do. We waste so much potential energy by not being at our full potential, or at least not striving towards that direction. We have little conception of how we are being influenced in every moment, and hardly feel up to taking the reigns on the totality of our lives... I understand, to a degree -- we enjoy spontaneity, adventure, and things happening to us -- it excites us, stimulates us, and lets us believe in another power at works guiding things to happen to us... haha, but you are the greatest power of all. Why waste so much time on unproductive, meaningless ends -- the ends life often throws at us -- and choose to follow the path that you want to, to better yourself, instead of letting the chips fall where they may. There is so much spontaneity, adventure, and unexpected turns within your own mind, your own choices on how to live your life, on how you want to be -- so explore yourself! Let your hand guide the artistic strokes of your life, influenced, inspired by, or reinforced by your beliefs -- your god -- nature -- or the way things must be: necessity and chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment